Frequently Asked Questions

Disclosure requirements

Who is required to notify consumers about the HUD Manufactured Home Dispute Resolution Program, and what information do they provide?

Manufactured home retailers and manufacturers are required to notify a consumer about the HUD DRP. You may find more information in the HUD sample disclosure form, the Retailer FAQ brochure, and in your Manufacturer’s Consumer Manual.


Who should I reach out to for Dispute Resolution Support on my manufactured home issue?

The location in which your home is installed determines who can assist. Please visit the Contact a State page to see if the home state location is listed. If your state has an agency listed, then you may reach out to them for support. If a state agency is not listed, please request assistance from the HUD Manufactured Home Dispute Resolution Program.

Which homes are eligible for HUD Manufactured Home Dispute Resolution?

New homes, located in HUD dispute resolution states, are eligible so long as the unresolved issue was reported to the home manufacturer, retailer, installer, State Administrative Agency, or HUD during the one-year period beginning on the date of installation, the homeowner is the first owner of the home, and a complete request for dispute resolution is received by HUD.

How do I demonstrate that I reported the issue within the first year after installation?

Be sure that your initial report of an alleged defect is date-stamped and in writing or electronic format so that there will be proof of the date of delivery. Also, make a copy to keep with your records so that you have proof in your possession. Persons who report an alleged defect by telephone should make a contemporaneous note of the telephone call, including date, time, the name of the person who received the report, the name of the business contacted, and the telephone number called.

Before you request dispute resolution

Who should I contact first about an issue with my home?

If an issue arises with your manufactured home, you should first contact your retailer or the home manufacturer. Most issues can be resolved in a timely manner. If the retailer or home manufacturer is not able to resolve your issue, the second contact should be the State Administrative Agency or HUD.

What is the recommended time frame for making corrections before reaching out to the HUDDRP?

Unless the reported defect poses an excessive risk of injury, death, or significant loss or damage to valuable personal property, homeowners and reporting parties are advised to wait for a reasonable period for a satisfactory resolution before seeking assistance from the HUD Manufactured Home Dispute Resolution Program.

Requesting a dispute resolution

What is the process for submitting a request for HUD manufactured home dispute resolution?

Visit the Submit a Dispute page to learn how to submit a request for dispute resolution.

What is the fee to submit a request for HUD manufactured home dispute resolution?

The HUDDRP program is free for homeowners and there are no fees associated with submitting a request or participating in the dispute resolution process. However, if you choose to hire an attorney or other legal representative to assist you in the dispute resolution process, you may be responsible for paying their fees. The HUDDRP is designed to be a cost-effective and efficient means of resolving disputes and is intended to provide an alternative to costly and time-consuming litigation.

As a homeowner, what level of involvement will I have during the dispute resolution process?

While homeowners are not considered parties to the dispute resolution process between the manufacturer , retailer, and/or installer, they are entitled to observe the process and will receive a report on the outcome.

What happens after I request HUD dispute resolution for my manufactured home?

The Federal dispute resolution neutral screener will review your complaint. If the alleged issues are found to be a nonconformance to the Manufactured Construction and Safety Standards or the Model Installation Standards, a mediation will be held, and all parties will be notified of the date and time. If the parties agree that someone other than the homeowner is responsible for the issue, they will have the opportunity to resolve the dispute using an alternative process. Homeowners will be informed of the outcome in writing within five (5) days of the alternative process. If the issues are not resolved after thirty (30) days of the alternative process notification, the mediator will schedule it for nonbinding arbitration. If the issues are not resolved through mediation, any party can request nonbinding arbitration. Thirty (30) days are allowed from the start of mediation to reach a settlement unless the defect poses an unreasonable threat of injury or significant loss or damage to valuable personal property, in which case ten (10) days are allowed.

How long will it take to get my issue resolved?

The length of time it takes to resolve an issue through the HUD Manufactured Home Dispute Resolution Program can vary. The program allows up to thirty (30) days from the start of mediation to reach a settlement, but if the issue poses an unreasonable threat of injury or significant loss or damage to valuable personal property, only ten (10) days are allowed. If the issues are not resolved through mediation, any party can request non-binding arbitration. The entire process can take several months to complete.

What if I am dissatisfied with the mediated agreement?

If you are dissatisfied with the mediated agreement, you have the option to request nonbinding arbitration.

What does nonbinding arbitration mean in the HUDDRP process?

Nonbinding arbitration in the HUDDRP (HUD's Manufactured Housing Dispute Resolution Program) process is a type of dispute resolution in which an impartial third party, known as an arbitrator, listens to the arguments and evidence presented by both parties and makes a decision. However, unlike binding arbitration, the decision made by the arbitrator in nonbinding arbitration is not final and does not have to be accepted by either party. In HUDDRP, nonbinding arbitration may be used as a final step in the DRP process if all parties agree to it. HUD will review and issue a final order. Failure to comply with an order is a violation of the National Manufactured Housing Construction and Safety Standards Act.